Re: [Hampshire] Portsmouth and South East Hants LUG - SURPRI…

Author: Paul Tansom via Hampshire
To: hampshire
CC: Paul Tansom
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Portsmouth and South East Hants LUG - SURPRISE NO APRIL MEETING!
** Thomas Kluyver via Hampshire <hampshire@???> [2020-04-15 21:40]:
> Hi all,
>
> Greetings from Edinburgh! I moved away a couple of years ago, but stayed on the list in case I happen to be down near there at the right time for a PLUG meeting. Sadly, that hasn't happened yet.
>
> We had an EdLUG meeting on Jitsi recently, and it worked pretty well for most people, with a couple of caveats:
>
> - We asked everyone to use Chromium/Chrome, because apparently one person on Firefox can cause issues for everyone. People are working on this, so hopefully it won't be necessary next time: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/issues/4758
> - A couple of people couldn't hear any sound until they allowed it to access a microphone.
>
> Some people tested out Apache OpenMeetings as an alternative - I missed the test, but apparently there were more issues even with fewer people trying to connect.
>
> Best wishes,
> Thomas
>
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2020, at 13:18, Paul Tansom via Hampshire wrote:
> > I can't imagine anyone is expecting an April meeting, and days are merging into
> > each other at the moment, but I will just send out a confirmation that there
> > will be no meeting.
> >
> > I am looking into options for a virtual meeting though, so will update if/when
> > I have something. If anyone has any preferences of timings or platforms they
> > really don't want to use let me know. At the moment Jitsi in what I am looking
> > at.
> >
> > Watch the mailing list and/or website for updates on the status of the May
> > meeting.
> >
> > Keep safe.

** end quote [Thomas Kluyver via Hampshire]

Erk, I'll bottom post this time. I've been doing too many non list replies
recently where bottom posting confuses people for some reason.

I didn't spot this email before, wow, is it that long ago! I think they must
have sorted the Firefox issues as I was using it and I wasn't aware of any
particular issues. We were on for a good few hours in the end. A couple had
issues getting webcams working, one of which was Brave not having access from
within the Snap, but nothing down to me - I don't think!

Feel free to join us given travel isn't an issue :-)

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | https://www.aptanet.com/ | 023 9238 0001