Re: [Hampshire] DAT as a backup medium

Author: Gordon Scott
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DAT as a backup medium

On 22/04/17 12:37, Rob Malpass via Hampshire wrote:
> I find it amazing hdd technology (which we’ve has since the 70s) is
> still the medium of preference.

To a significant extent it's _because_ they've been around since the 70s.

They've been undergoing fairly continuous evolution since then ...
better materials, better manufacturing techniques, better balance and
resilience of the components and so on. Totally hermetically sealed,
auto-parking, etc.

I used to use tape, but it isn't actually all _that_ reliable. It
_isn't_ hermetically sealed, so it's at greater risk from environmental
factors like humidity and pollution, tape has always been prone to
stretch, I presume(!) that there's still contact between head and tape
(in HDDs the head 'flies' microns above the medium).

SSD may(!) be more reliable, but it's much more expensive.
I gave up tape when it became more expensive than HDDs.
So far, I personally have seen no reason to return.
YMMV.

Gordon.

--
Gordon Scott