Re: [Hampshire] Home router with DMZ - any suggestions

Author: Chris Ellis via Hampshire
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: Chris Ellis
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Home router with DMZ - any suggestions
On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 3:45 PM A. J. Trickett via Hampshire
<hampshire@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the near future I'm hoping to get FTTP. The roll out in France
> is fibre to the actual house with a single RG45 Gig-E connection
> from the media converter.
>
> For my money I get:
> 2 Gig download speeds
> 1 Gig upload speeds
> 1 x IPv4 address
> 1 x IPv6 block
> No transfer cap
>
> I think they also give you a crappy ISP router/switch which you
> may or may not have to keep.
>
> Assuming I can swap the device out I'm thinking of setting my own
> router up, with WAN, DMZ and LAN ports. Because the address is
> static, I can route stuff to the DMZ and keep that separate from
> everything else.
>
> One of the reasons for doing this is so I can run WireGuard
> directly on the router and hook it to other houses with family
> members in, and to my server in York (to get a UK GeoIP).
>
> I'm happy with the software, using a stripped down Debian, or
> router distro, but not sure what hardware to look for.
>
> Any suggestions?

I run one of these: https://www.mini-itx.com/~JNF9HG-2930

Has quad onboard NICs, fanless and enough CPU to do firewalling / VPN
/ home server.

It's a little dated now but there are plenty of similar boards
available with a good number of gig ports.

Another option could be something like an Odroid H2+, which has dual
2.5Gbe ports.

I run openSUSE on it with NF-Tables for the firewall, nothing fancy
but simple and effective, I don't need a GUI or similar.

I also have a wifi card in it and run hostapd for some wifi as well as
some other access points.

Regards,
Chris

--